If you’re ready to party like it’s 2014 but you can’t wait a couple months to celebrate the new year, Samsung is ready to push out its latest version of the Galaxy Note 10.1 — aptly named the 2014 edition — to buyers in the US. We haven’t heard if any carriers will officially take the tablet under their wings, but the WiFi-only model will at least be making its way to a full litany of online and brick-and-mortar electronics retailers starting October 10th, with a few outlets offering pre-orders starting tomorrow at midnight. You’ll be able to pick one up in your choice of jet black and classic white, with the 16GB unit retailing for $550 and 32GB going for $600. If it’s any consolation, you’ll also get a few perks along with the tablet, such as three months of Hulu Plus, a year subscription to Boingo hotspots, as well as 50GB extra Dropbox storage, a 12-week subscription to the New York Times and a full year of Bloomberg Businessweek. If you like what 2014 has to offer so far, you know what to do. by engadget
Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 – 2014 Edition Available in the U.S. Oct. 10
With enhanced S Pen, superior display, Multi-Window and sleek redesign, the
Galaxy Note 10.1 – 2014 Edition delivers an unrivaled tablet experience
RIDGEFIELD PARK, N.J. – September 26, 2013 – Samsung Electronics America, Inc. today announced the Galaxy Note® 10.1 – 2014 Edition will be available in the U.S. beginning Oct. 10, with pre-orders starting at midnight ET tomorrow, Sept. 27. The Galaxy Note 10.1 – 2014 Edition is equipped with industry-leading specifications packed in a thin and lightweight form factor.
“Last year’s launch of the Galaxy Note 10.1 introduced the integration of S Pen™ capabilities to the tablet category and created a new experience for consumers,” said Travis Merrill, vice president of tablet marketing at Samsung Electronics America. “We continue to evolve the Galaxy Note experience with the new Note 10.1 – 2014 Edition. With premium software features and a sophisticated design, we’re delivering an exceptional and even more engaging tablet experience.”
With improved S Pen capabilities, vibrant display and updated Multi-Window functionality, the new Galaxy Note 10.1 – 2014 Edition delivers an intelligent tablet experience packaged in a sleek, polished design. The Galaxy Note 10.1 – 2014 Edition has been refined with a textured and stitched back cover that is both stylish and comfortable to hold. With an overall smaller size and lighter weight, the new Galaxy Note tablet has smaller bezels and a thinner profile, without sacrificing screen size.
“The Galaxy Note 10.1 – 2014 Edition builds on Samsung’s innovative tablet foundation,” said Nanda Ramachandran, vice president of emerging business at Samsung Telecommunications America. “With its advanced functionality and expanded features, the Galaxy Note 10.1 – 2014 Edition offers a best- in-class tablet experience that enables new conveniences to empower users to excel in everyday tasks.”
Unparalleled Display Quality and Multitasking
Samsung’s Galaxy Note 10.1 – 2014 Edition features a large Super Clear LCD display that offers brighter colors and more lifelike graphics. The 2,560 x 1,600 pixel WQXGA display contains over 4 million pixels, offering users a dynamic viewing experience.
To complement the high-resolution display, Samsung introduces a new magazine-style user interface called My Magazine. By allowing users to organize the latest news, social feeds and localized content in an easy-to-use, personalized dashboard on a Super Clear LCD, the Galaxy Note 10.1 – 2014 Edition reinvents how consumers interact with their tablets.
The new Galaxy Note 10.1 is powered by an Exynos® 5420 quad-core processor and 3GB RAM for faster web browsing and multitasking, with rich HD graphics for the best gaming experience. Enhanced multitasking allows users to seamlessly use two different applications side-by-side and easily drag and drop content from one window to another. What’s more, certain apps, such as YouTube and Internet, can now be activated simultaneously in both windows.
Enhanced Suite of S Pen Features
The Galaxy Note 10.1 – 2014 Edition comes equipped with an updated S Pen that provides a more responsive, productive and overall efficient tablet experience. The enhanced S Pen also introduces several shortcuts and productivity tools at consumers’ fingertips, including:
- Air Command provides instant access to S Pen features, including Action Memo, Scrapbooker, Screen Write, S Finder and Pen Window all in a convenient hover and click of the button on the S Pen from any point on the screen.
- Action Memo gives users a quick way to take a note and link that note to a direct action, instantly perform a task, such as searching the Internet or emailing a contact.
- Scrapbooker capabilities let users organize interesting content with the S Pen and place it into individualized scrapbooks. This feature affords users an easy and functional way to use the S Pen to grab and store videos, photos and clips from Web pages that are linkable back to the original online source. With Scrapbooker, users keep all boards private and then easily choose which content to share.
- Screen Write lets users easily take a screen capture and edit the shot.
- S Finder allows users to search the entire device, including handwritten notes and settings, connected accounts and the web through key words or handwritten symbols.
- Pen Window effortlessly enhances productivity with a stroke of the S Pen. The feature lets users draw a window on screen using the S Pen, which opens a selection of applications, and then minimize it to hover on any screen as the user interface is navigated; perfect for opening a calculator on top of a spreadsheet or quickly setting an alarm.
- S Note enhancements include a more intuitive and easy-to-use interface. Users still have the ability to use the S Pen to take handwritten notes, or use handwriting-to-text, with access to both note files and notepads. With Easy Chart, hand-drawn data can be instantly transformed into more formal charts and graphs.
Content and Services for an Immersive Galaxy Experience
Samsung is partnering with leading news, productivity and entertainment sources to provide over $600 in bundled content for the Galaxy Note 10.1 – 2014 Edition. With Galaxy Perks, consumers have access to popular applications and services, including three months free of Hulu Plus and SiriusXM, and one year of free Boingo Hotspot access. The Galaxy Note 10.1 – 2014 Edition also comes pre-loaded with 50GB of Dropbox free for two years, one year subscription to Bloomberg Businessweek and a 12 week subscription to The New York Times. For more information on Galaxy Perks, please visit http://www.samsung.com/us/galaxyperks.
A redesigned Twitter application, with limited exclusivity to the Galaxy Note 10.1 – 2014 Edition, features S-Pen integration and Multi-Window capabilities for a unique Twitter tablet experience.
In addition, the Galaxy Note 10.1 – 2014 Edition will include a Samsung Apps widget, which offers users additional content, optimized for the new 10.1-inch tablet and other Samsung devices. The new tablet is also equipped with Samsung’s innovative IR remote capability and WatchON, a search and recommendation service which makes finding TV shows and on-demand video content faster, easier and more personalized, as the hub of the living room.
The Galaxy Note 10.1 – 2014 Edition is Wi-Fi-enabled and available in 16 and 32GB variations with an additional 64GB of storage available via microSD card expansion. The device comes in two color options, Jet Black and Classic White. The Galaxy Note 10.1 – 2014 Edition will retail for $ 549.99 and $599.99 for the 16 and 32GB versions, respectively. It will be available for purchase at Samsung Experience Shops at Best Buy, Best Buy Mobile specialty stores, BestBuy.com, Amazon, PC Richards, Fry’s, Tiger Direct, Walmart and Samsung.com, with pre-orders beginning at select retailers on Sept. 27.